Friday, November 23, 2018

Civil War series part 3


When Oregon State welcomes in Oregon this afternoon to Reser Stadium, chances are that you will notice that the two marching bands are on the field together.  This isn’t new, but a tradition that started several years ago.  Here is the Oregon State / Oregon pregame from a couple years ago.


I wanted to talk with people who have played in Civil War games for the Oregon Marching Band and Oregon State Marching Band.  I connected with Linda Molder who played for OMB and Brandon Hildebrand played for OSUMB.  I asked each a set of questions to get their views of what Civil War is like behind the instruments.

Question 1. What is Civil War like for the band?
BH: Game day was awesome. The whole week built up to it and when the game finally got to kick off the energy in the air was electric. Both bands also got together earlier in the week and played flag football, it was fun!
LM: I always had fun playing at the Civil war game. Everyone is so hyped up and excited.”
Question 2. What is it like sharing the field with your rival band?
LM: The OSU band was always very welcoming and excited to have us there and vice versa. We’re all there to play music, entertain the crowd and cheer on our team.
BH: Sharing the field was good, we were more friends than rivals.
Question 3. Does Civil War mean more because it is against your in-state rival?
BH: Especially for me, I grew up a duck. I am originally from Eugene and then converted to the beavers when I went to school at Oregon State.
LM: I do. I think everyone plays harder and wants to win more against our main rival. We’re playing for bragging rights as well.
There you have it; the bands want to win too.  I believe that both Oregon and Oregon State’s bands are some of the best in the conference and on the west coast.  We will see later today who takes home the win and which band gets to celebrate another Civil War win.

No comments: