Monday, October 1, 2018

Day 518...

Day 518...

Happy Monday and Happy October.  With the pleasantries out of the way, today is a very somber one.  One year ago, fifty eight people lost their lives and hundreds more suffered injuries that still are unimaginable.  These folks were attending a festival in Las Vegas, NV, the party capitol of the world.  You go to Las Vegas to have fun and not have to worry about someone opening fire on a crowd of defenseless human beings.  Some of those shot at are friends of mine.  Some of those were on stage watching a concert meant to entertain the hundreds of people attending.

I saw a tweet come across from Jake Owen addressed to his daughter Pearl.  That was the first sign I had that something wasn't right.  In the next few minutes, my world changed and I began a very long night of making sure my friends were okay.  I got several texts and calls from Stacy, one of my past reps.  We were trying to track down other radio and records people on site.  I was able to get ahold of one of my current reps as she was holed up in her hotel room, able to make it out of the venue and back to safety.  I was able to reach some of the artists friends and make sure they were okay.  I made calls to people in Nashville, in Medford, in San Francisco, in Portland and in Las Vegas.  About an hour after the shooting concluded, networks were able to have people on the ground.  Fox News was first with CNN quickly coming on after.  ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX were all live.  Images that will forever be with me were all over the television.  People were bleeding, people were being carried out on make shift stretchers, people were helping each other regardless if they knew them or not.  People were helping others...let that sink in for a moment.  People were helping people.  We all saw the stories of the off duty firefighter from California or the police officer that rushed into the venue.  Hundreds if not thousands of selfless acts occurred in that city block one year ago.  Because of those acts, many lives were saved.

The fifty eight people who lost their lives that night haven't been forgotten.  I attended several concerts this year where acts who played Route 91 were performing.  Each of the artists mentioned it, some more than others but it wasn't far from their minds.  Those fifty eight people, people who were there to have fun and enjoy each others company and to see a good show, they are the ones we remember today.  They are the ones who have inspired us to keep going, inspired us to continue to play shows and inspired us to not be afraid.  My heart still hurts.  My head is still littered with the images of that night.  I know I won't ever forget and I ask you tonight to never forget as well.


I'd be remised if I didn't also acknowledge another horrible event at took place three years ago.  The shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg.  That event brought together the people of Oregon and the country.  Never forget about those who lost their lives either.  #UCC Strong

No comments: